This is a war memorial commemorating the service of about 253,000 Turkish soldiers who participated at the Battle of Gallipoli, during the First World War.
The design is by architects Dogan Erginbas, Ismail Utkular and civil engineer Ertugrul Barla. Construction of the monument began in 1952, and the memorial was officially opened on 21 August 1960.
The 41.70 m (137 ft) high monument is in the form of four square columns 7.5 m (25 ft) wide with 10 m (33 ft) space between each other, topped by a concrete slab of 25 by 25 m (82 by 82 ft). The huge structure is well visible during passage through the Dardanelles.